Looking for fun activities and boredom busters to keep kids busy at home? Instead of listening to them whine and complain – be proactive and hand them this giant list of things to do while they are bored at home.
At Home Boredom Busters for Kids
So the kids are stuck at home and they’re totally bored.
At this point you have two options:
- Listen to them repeat “I’m SO booored” over and over again for hours…
- Give them a list of possible activities and let them know that if they don’t choose one, then you have a list of chores they can choose from instead.
As for me, and my sanity – I choose option 2.
Frugal Indoor Activities for Kids
My kids are 10 and 7, so I am no stranger when it comes to the complaining that often accompanies the boredom of being at home.
It’s been happening since they were toddlers, and I know it will only get worse as they become tweens and teens.
That is why I have started to put together a boredom buster game plan now.
All things considered, I am actually pretty lucky…
As a minimalist family my kids are used to finding unique and creative ways to entertain themselves because they don’t have a ton of toys and we limit the use of electronics.
And the truth is that boredom is good for kids.
When kids are constantly entertained they don’t have the opportunities to think for themselves or develop their own sense of creativity and imagination….so sad!
But once they are bored, how can we stop them from driving us crazy with whining and requests?
As a teacher and mom, I know that you can’t always expect kids to magically come up with their own ideas.
Sometimes, all they need is a little nudge in the right direction to get their creative juices flowing.
Below you will find a growing list of ideas to help keep your kiddos busy when they are stuck and home and need to keep them occupied.
Save the list to Pinterest, or write down the ideas on popsicle sticks and create a boredom buster jar.
Indoor Activities for Bored Kids
1) Turn on these great kid’s movement and exercise YouTube videos to get them off the couch
2) Play hide and seek
3) Build a fort
4) Make a snack
5) Bake cookies
6) Paint a picture
7) Practice handstands
8) Re-arrange your bedroom
9) Draw with sidewalk chalk
10) Play a card game
11) Play a board game
12) Read a book
13) Create a graphic novel
14) Put on a skit
15) Build an obstacle course
16) Play the floor is lava
17) Write a song or poem
18) Create wall-art from painter’s tape
19) Make slime
21) Learn some fun hand-clapping games and rhymes
22) Play jump rope and practice these jump rope songs
23) Draw a self-portrait
24) Make finger paint out of pudding
25) Enjoy an epic bubble bath
26) Bake a treat for a neighbor
27) Create a collage or vision board
28) Play balloon volleyball
29) Trace their body on a large piece of paper and color it in
30) Create their own hilarious “Upside-down Chin Face” video
31) Watch one of these family-friendly shows on Netflix
32) Make a smoothie
33) Listen to an audiobook
34) Make paper airplanes
35) Make a paper bag puppet
36) Hula Hoop
37) Do a puzzle
38) Play dress up and put on a fashion show
39) Do your makeup really crazy
40) Play Mad Libs
41) Play charades
42) Take a bunch of funny selfies
43) Make a “faux” YouTube Video
44) Play rock paper scissors
45) Have a staring contest
46) Have a dance contest
47) Do a kids workout
48) Play with shaving cream
49) Carve a bar of soap with a plastic knife
50) Paint rocks
51) Have a picnic in the living room
52) Have a bubble gum bubble-blowing contest
53) Play laundry basket hockey with a rolled up sock and a broom
READ THIS NEXT>>>>>Winter Break Bucket List for Kids
I also love this idea of creating a boredom busters jar!
Well mama – there you have it: tons of ideas to keep your child busy when they are bored.
Do you have any ideas I should add to the list?
Please add them in the comments below!
50+ Boredom Busters for Kids to do At Home
Get your free guide!
Family Goal Setting Printable
Get your copy of this free, easy-to-use tool that fosters team spirit within your family. It’s perfect for sparking engaging discussions about goals and helps outline a clear, manageable action plan to turn dreams into reality.