Today I am sharing my top picks for this year’s winter capsule wardrobe essentials. This collection includes classic mix and match staples that will keep you cozy and comfortable all winter long. It will also allow you to hit snooze on those dark winter mornings because you will save time with these ready to wear options.
What is a Winter Capsule Wardrobe?
When I think of winter, I automatically think of warm and cozy. At the same time, I want to be comfortable and look pulled together.
That is why I love capsule wardrobes!
But what is a capsule wardrobe? The answer is going to depend on who you ask, but here is my definition:
A capsule wardrobe is a pared down collection of easy-to-coordinate, mix-in-match pieces that makes getting dressed and looking put together completely fool-proof.-Lauren Tingley @ Simply well Balanced
A winter capsule collection meets all these objectives but is full of clothes that are appropriate for winter weather to keep you comfy and cozy all season long.
As a busy mom, I was drawn to the idea of creating a capsule wardrobe for multiple reasons:
1) I don’t have hours to spend shopping and trying on clothes
2) Most of our clothing budget goes toward our growing children who wear out and out-grow clothes quickly
3) I need to get dressed quickly in the morning so that I can get everyone out the door on time.
To be honest, creating a capsule wardrobe was the way I found my style again after having kids.
It was a huge part of learning how to fight the frump as a busy mom with two kids who had no idea what to wear or what I looked good in anymore.
(Speaking of that, you can check out this guide to help you get started, too…enter code simplywellbalanced for 10% off!)
Why Women Are Loving Capsule Wardrobes
In theory, having a huge closet packed full of clothes sounds like a dream come true.
In reality, it’s more like a nightmare. When you have a lot of clothing:
- You can never find what you are looking for
- Laundry takes forever and is never done
- The hanging and organizing is a constant battle
If this sounds familiar, you would probably benefit from creating a capsule wardrobe.
By simplifying your closet to just the essentials that you love and often wear, you will avoid so many of these struggles. No more feeling frustrated, overwhelmed, and frantic when you are trying to choose an outfit in the morning.
Anyone can create a capsule wardrobe by selecting mix-and-match items that are practical and that you love to wear.
If this sounds like something that you need in your life, here is my favorite resource for getting started with capsule wardrobes.
Your Winter Capsule Wardrobe Checklist
Over the years, I have tried different variations of a capsule wardrobe for each season. Through trial and error, I have discovered the specific pieces and color schemes that work best for me.
My goal is to share my strategy with you as a “starting point” for you to create a simplified wardrobe that works best for you.
Depending on the climate where you live and your lifestyle, you may be able to skip some items, or you may even need to add a few. (It doesn’t snow where I live)
The idea is that you have enough items to create a variety of outfits so that you feel like you have a completely packed closet without any stress and maintenance.
Below is a quick rundown of the pieces that I find I get the most use from year after year.
I have included numbers next to each item. This is not a guideline or a rule, this is simply what has worked for me.
Please note that winter accessories are not included on this list. That being said, it’s pretty obvious that winter is all about layering and staying warm.
In addition to the pieces listed below, my winter capsule also consists of gloves, scarves, leg warmers, and hats.
Women’s Capsule Wardrobe Essentials
For example, all of the pants and cardigans I wear year-round. The long sleeve t-shirts, tunics and vests are also part of my fall closet.
So, as you can see, these items really help to save money and they get plenty of use.
I would rather wear an item so frequently that it eventually needs to be replaced than to waste money on 30 items that sit in the back of my closet and never get worn.
There you have it mama! Your perfect winter capsule wardrobe checklist to help you simplify your closet today!
Capsule Wardrobe FAQs
How do you make a winter capsule wardrobe?
I always suggest that when creating any capsule collection, you start with what you already have.
- Go through your closet and get rid of anything that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in over a year – this will give you a nice clean slate to start with.
- Next, start sorting your clothes by season. Since we are talking about winter in this post, that means that all your tanks, shorts and summer dresses get set to the side for now. ( I actually suggest storing all off-season clothes in storage bags under your bed).
- Now, start looking for items that you love, wear all the time and are timeless classics – these are the things you are going to keep and build your capsule from. Be sure to pay close attention to colors. Your staples should be black, white and grey, and then 2-3 other colors you are naturally drawn to.
- Be sure to let go of any remaining items that are not versatile or easy to mix and match with other items in your new wardrobe.
- Lastly, make a list of any essential items that you know you are going to need but don’t currently have and shop for only the items on the list to finish out your capsule.
These are the basic steps that I follow and suggest to others. This tends to be a simple-to-follow process that avoids overwhelm and stress and saves a lot of money because it focuses on what you already have rather than going out and buying an entirely new wardrobe.
How to choose a color scheme for your capsule wardrobe?
You will notice that the colors I gravitate toward include black, white, grey, navy and camel or tan. I have found that these colors are classic and tend to stay on trend from year to year.
Additionally, if you have some more colorful favorites in your closet already that you plan to keep, they will most likely coordinate easily with the basics included in this capsule.
How many items should be in a capsule wardrobe?
This depends on how you plan to create your capsule wardrobe.
If you plan to create a capsule for each season, a popular standard is around 33 items. This is the method that is featured in Project 333, which is the gold standard.
However, if you live in an area where you can wear most of your clothes year-round, you might be able just to add a few more season staples and have a great capsule with 50 items or less.
I am a huge believer that a capsule isn’t about having a specific number of items; it’s really about making your life easier and getting rid of excess items that you don’t wear.
Get your free guide!
Family Goal Setting Printable
Get your copy of this free, easy-to-use tool that fosters team spirit within your family. It’s perfect for sparking engaging discussions about goals and helps outline a clear, manageable action plan to turn dreams into reality.