The scorching hot days of summer have come to an end and it’s time to start dressing for cooler fall days. Today I am sharing my top picks for this year’s Fall Capsule Wardrobe Essentials that will keep you cozy and comfortable well into winter.
What is a capsule wardrobe?
“A capsule wardrobe is a carefully selected collection of clothing items that are easy to coordinate.”Lauren Tingley @simplywellbalanced
My objectives when I create my mini-wardrobes for each season are:
- Save time getting dressed in the morning because I am not overwhelmed by choices
- Reduce closet clutter by only having items that I wear frequently during that season
- Save money by not buying clothes all year. I create my capsule then stop.
Fall Capsule Wardrobe Inspiration
Pinterest is always my first stop when creating my seasonal capsules.
Living in a small town, it is helpful to go online to be inspired with new color combinations and styles.
While my closet essentials are all black, grey and tan I like to add a bit of color and pattern to avoid looking exactly the same everday.
This simple fall collection was inspired by the grey, olive and blush color palette in the image above.
What’s Included in my Fall Capsule
As I have mentioned in my other capsule wardrobe posts, the winters in my area are pretty mild.
This means that many of my clothing staples can work double duty and play a part in my winter and fall capsules.
This is a win-win because I get more use out of the items that are included and that means saving more money in the long run.
In this capsule I have included suggestions for outwear, tops, bottoms and accessories.
I didn’t include shoes or handbags because I typically only use one purse at a time and I can also wear most of my shoes year round.
How to Create Your Own Fall Capsule
Personally, I follow a very loose guide when creating my seasonal capsules.
I allow any items that I can wear year round to stay, and I don’t limit myself to a specific number of items in my closet.
Instead, I just make sure that the clothing coordinates easily and that I don’t keep items in my closet for storage purposes or for “but I might” moments.
When creating your own fall capsule wardrobe it is up to you to decide what will work best for you.
You may want to start by going through your closet and sorting clothes into 3 categories:
- Never wear it
- Like it
- Love it
Step 1: Right off the bat you should donate anything in the “never wear it” category.
Step 2: Next take inventory of what remains in your “love it” pile.
Notice any gaps you may need to fill with basics. Also take note of what you love about those items – the fit, the fabric, color palette or how you feel when you wear those clothes.
The goal of a minimalist wardrobe is not to have a closet packed with clothes, but instead an intentional collection of clothing that you love and makes getting dressed easy and stress free.
I find that what works best for me is to have enough clothing to only need to do laundry once a week, but not so much that my closet becomes cluttered or that I have trouble finding items to wear.
I have included numbers next to each of the wardrobe staples I have listed below, but this is just a suggestion to get you started. The grand total is 21 items if you were to follow it exactly.
I currently have approximately 40 items hanging in my closet because my capsule also contains many of the basics that I wear year round.
My Top Fall Capsule Wardrobe Picks for 2019
1) Lightweight Coat with a Hood (1) –For those blustery fall days you need something to keep you warm and dry.
2) Denim Jacket (1) –Versatile and classic a demin jacket is the perfect item to include in your minimalist wardrobe.
A combo of lightweight and heavy tops are perfect for layering for your Fall Capsule. Focus on neutrals and stripes that are easy to mix and match.
3) Long Sleeves (4) -Layer under outwear or sweaters, or wear on their own.
4) Tunics (3) - Perfect to pair with leggings or wear on their own for datenight.
5) Sweaters (4) - Faux wraps, cardigans and lightweight knits perfect for the cooler days of fall.
6) Black Leggings(2) - Perfect to pair with a tunic or with a summer dress to transition to fall.
7) Dark Denim(2) - Part of my year round capsule.
8) Colored Denim (1) - I only have 1 pair of colored denim. You'll want to choose something neutral that will still allow you to mix and match to create multiple outfits.
9) Scarves (3) -Truth be told scarves are basically the only accessory I wear. They are perfect for fall because they can keep you warm without the bulk of a jacket.
There you have it mama! A quick and easy way to keep your closet clutter free with a fall capsule wardrobe.
We would love to hear from you! Have you tried a capsule wardrobe yet?