You’re going to love these fun and easy family Valentine’s Day ideas. Simple activities to celebrate a day of love and start new traditions at home.
Valentine’s Day Ideas for Families
I remember when my husband and I were dating, or even newly married and Valentine’s Day was all about romantic dinners, weekend getaways and thoughtful gifts.
Over a decade later…Valentine’s Day looks different now.
I still love my husband very much, but we show our love in different (more practical) ways now.
The money we would have spent on a romantic weekend getaway is now spent on dance lessons and dentist appointments.
But I wouldn’t change it for the world.
Truth be told, our kids are young and Valentine’s Day is currently more about sharing our love as a family.
As much as I miss romantic dinners and weekend getaways, those will happen again in a few short years when my kids are out on their own dates.
GAH! I can’t believe I just said that!
But for now, it’s fun to celebrate Valentine’s Day as a family and create memories while we have this time together.
Below you will find ideas to start celebrating when the kids wake up in the morning and take you through an entire day of family fun including after dinner dessert.
I am not suggesting that you do all of these ideas – that would be a whole lotta love!
Instead, take a look a choose a few that your family will enjoy.
How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day as a Family
Let’s get this love fest started!
Below you will find all my favorite ideas for celebrating Valentine’s day with your fam-bam.
1. Make a Valentine’s Day Themed Breakfast
The perfect way to start spreading the love is to begin the day with a breakfast full of love!
You could either gather in the kitchen and make breakfast together, or prepare something ahead of time to surprise them with when they wake up!
Here are 13 Valentine’s Day Breakfasts for Kids that we love!
2. Play a Valentine’s Day game
Research suggests that playing games together is one of the best ways to bond with your family.
In fact, a friend of mine always says, “A family that plays together, stays together”.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Valentine’s Day – Don’t Laugh Challenge
- Valentine’s Day – Bingo
- Conversation Hearts Stack Up – see how many candy conversation hearts each family member can stack in one minute.
- Tic Tac Toe – just like the traditional game, but make it more festive by playing with these
- Pass the Love – fill a bowl with these heart shaped marshmallows and see how many each family member can move into an empty bowl, using only a plastic spoon and their mouth.
3. Spread the Love
- Grab a stack of these adorable sticky notes and give a few to each family member. Have them write nice messages or draw pictures and hide them for others to find.
- During the 13 days leading up to Valentine’s Day have everyone write messages or kind words on small slips of paper and place them in a box or jar. On Valentine’s Day open them and read them aloud.
- Use these special window markers to draw pictures of rainbow, unicorns, hearts and all that fun lovey-dovey stuff on windows or mirrors for your loved ones.
4. Cuddle Up to Read a Book Together
Even before Valentine’s Day arrives you can start the conversation by cuddling up and reading books about love, family and friendship.
Here is a list of our favorite Valentine’s Day Books for Kids
5. Make a Valentine’s Day Family Craft
- Make some family fingerprint art by putting a large heart shaped sticker in the middle of a canvas, then have everyone stamp their fingerprints all over in different colors. When dry, remove the heart sticker and have a special, one of a kind work of art.
- Repeat the same process above, but instead of using a heart shaped sticker, use painter’s tape to spell the word “LOVE”. Remove the tape when dry and enjoy!
6. Make a Special Valentine’s Day Dinner Together
After all that fun your family will have worked up an appetite and be ready for a Valentine’s Day Themed Dinner.
There are so many fun heart shaped foods to make and enjoy and this is always my kid’s favorite part of the day.
Here are a few of our favorite Valentine’s Day dinner ideas:
- Heart Shaped Pizzas
- Heart Shaped Quesadillas
- Fondue with heart shaped fruits and cheeses
- Pasta made with heart shaped noodles
7. Enjoy a Delicious Valentine’s Day Dessert
And after that? Well, Valentine’s Day just wouldn’t be the same without dessert!
- Chocolate dipped strawberries
- Valentine’s Day Smore’s with those heart shaped marshmallows and chocolate graham crackers
- Drizzle popcorn with melted white chocolate, heart shaped sprinkles and m&ms.
8. Gather on the Couch for Valentine’s Day Family Movie Night
Finally, the perfect way to end a fun filled family friendly Valentine’s Day….a movie!
Aren’t these ideas so cute! I can’t wait to spoil my family and surprise them with these fun activities we can enjoy together.
9. Make Valentine’s Cards and Gifts for Friends and Family
Start a new family Valentine’s Day tradition by working together to make cards, crafts and trays of goodies to deliver to friends, neighbors and extended family members on Valentine’s Day.
This simple act of working together and spreading love to others is sure to become simple yet meaningful way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your family.
10. Play “I love you because”
Throughout the day or at dinner take turns telling each family member things that you love about them. Each person will take a turn sharing what they love about each person in the family and everyone will end the day feeling special and loved.
There you have it! 10 meaningful ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day as a family and create new traditions together.