I remember being excited a few years ago when a friend invited me to an essential oils class hosted at her home. Once there I was impressed with the product and the wealth of knowledge that the presenter had. The only bummer was we were in the end stages of paying off our debt and there was no way I could justify the expense. The bottom line was that there wasn’t room in our budget that I had made a pledge to stick to. What my family needed were some affordable essential oils.
What is Essential Oil?
I first learned of essential oils while in college when I took a course on Herbal Medicine at UC Davis. The class was informative & fun with a ton of practical applications that I have used as a mother.
A very simplified description of essential oils would include the following:
- Essential oils are concentrated versions of natural oils found in plants
- The oil contains the fragrance as well as other properties of the plant
- The most common use of essential oils is aromatherapy
- Scientists think they work by sending chemical messages to parts of the brain that affect mood and emotion
- Many popular essential oils have anti-viral and anti-bacterial effects
How to Choose an Essential Oil Brand
According to The Herbal Academy you should consider the following when selecting which essential oil brand to purchase:
1) Cost – While the most expensive oil is not always better than the less expensive, a high quality oil will never be cheap. It takes a lot of plant material to produce a small amount of oil and obtaining high quality plant material increases the cost.
2) Purity – Altering essential oils (by adding extra ingredients) is a common process among manufacturers. In order to avoid these manufacturers you will want to work with a retailer that specializes in essential oils or is a reputable company that you know and trust.
3) Labeling – The product should ideally be labeled with the following information:
- The botanical or scientific name
- Country of plant origin
- Extraction process used
- A distillation or expiration date
- A designation of organic is preferable
- GC/MS reports on their websites
Using these tips as a guide, I set out to find a high quality essential oil brand I felt safe using on my family.
The Affordable Essential Oil Brand I Use and Love
Living in a small town with limited shopping opportunities, my first stop was Amazon.
I found a handful of essential oil brands which looked promising and I began to dig a little deeper.
After researching the different companies the one that stood out was Plant Therapy.
The company’s owners have this to say about their product, which I find sincerely inspiring!
“Our ultimate goal is not to be the largest essential oil company; it is to positively impact the lives of as many people as humanly possible.
Ultimately, I feel this is possible only by providing our customers with an exceptional experience that keeps them coming back.
By selling such a high quality product at an affordable price, we not only positively affect the lives of our customers, it also gives us the financial means by which we can help those who are less fortunate to live a happier, healthier, and more productive life.”-Chris Jones
Reading this locked in that this was the right company for us to try.
How to use essential oils
It’s best to get started with some basic oils in a diffuser.
This way you don’t have to worry about learning all the details about specific oils and where they need to be used on the body and how they need to be diluted.
This starter kit from Plant Therapy includes a diffuser and three starter oils.
One thing that I didn’t like from some of the MLM companies is that you have to dilute and put the oils in roller bottles yourself.
Plant Therapy offers a ton of their oils and blends in pre-diluted roller bottles – which is perfect for busy mamas.
The first product I purchased was the Tension Relief pre-diluted roll on (formerly known as Headache Away).
I have now used the product for over 2 years and can say that it will stop my headaches about 80% of the time.
For me, this is fantastic because I do not get headaches as often as I used to, and when I do I usually don’t have to take any sort of pain relief! I would love to tell you that the product works 100% of the time, but that wouldn’t be honest and that is not what we are about here at Simply-Well-Balanced.
The success I had with the Headache Away/Tension Relief blend led me to try their line of Pre-diluted Essential Oil Rollers for kids (KidSafe). Let me tell you these have been amazing!!!!
Essential Oils that are Safe for Kids
We purchased the KidSafe Starter Set and have purchased a few additional roll-ons as needed. We all use them – not just the kids.
The set comes with 6 different synergies (blends) and all of them are pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil and are safe for use on children. (please read the label for full directions).
Our daughter has trouble with tantrums and she is now old enough to ask for the oils when she is having a hard time calming down.
For this we love the Calming the Child synergy from the starter kit.
She will apply it herself and within minutes she will begin to slow down and relax.
They have recently created the most adorable “Aroma Plush” animals for use with their oils. My daughter is in love with this since we try to avoid synthetic fragrances in our home. She gets to cuddle with her scented lovey and we don’t have to worry about yucky chemicals.
Important to know is that the KidSafe Synergies are formulated by Robert Tisserand the author of “Essential Oil Safety” a reference guide for health professionals and health product manufacturers. He is an expert in his field and I first heard about him in the college class that I took mentioned above. This bit of info also helped me to feel confident in the quality of this brand.
Plant Therapy; Affordable Essential Oils for your Family
In our opinion Plant Therapy provides the best affordable essential oils.
- They are high quality
- We have had success with them in our home
- Available for a fraction of the cost of other oils. This has allowed us to create a balance between wanting to use natural health methods when appropriate while meeting our financial goals for our family.
We would love to hear from you! Have you tried Plant Therapy oils? Please comment below.