You already have a very busy life. Then the holidays roll around and add even more planning, shopping and events to your already jam-packed schedule. It’s easy to throw your healthy living plans out the window, but it’s not the best idea. Instead try out a few of these super simple healthy holiday tips.
- Create a list of errands, groceries and gifts you need. Make a plan to cross as many items you can off your list in as few trips as possible.
- Print out your calendar and plug in all “must-attend” events first. Now that you can see how packed your schedule is be sure to only add on what you have time for.
- Shop throughout the year, instead of waiting until the last minute.
- Decline invitations that you don’t have time for or are not excited to attend.
- Take a day off from work to run errands or practice self-care.
- Draw names of extended family members to cut down on the cost and stress of buying for everyone.
- Donate to a charity in honor of a loved one instead of exchanging gifts.
- Set a gift exchange price limit.
- Request and/or give DIY gifts
Start a New Tradition
- Traditions help to keep our focus on what matters most; our friends and family.
- Avoid anything elaborate or costly that will just add to your holiday stress.
- Check out this list of Super Simple Christmas Traditions that you can start this year.
More Super Simple Healthy Holiday Tips
Snack Before You Go
- For years, Dr. Oz has eaten a small bowl of soup before he enjoys dinner away from home. You can do the same before heading to a party where you know holiday food is offered.
- Keep your pantry and fridge stocked with your favorite healthy snacks so you always have them on hand.
- Out shopping? Stop hunting for that super-close parking space. Instead, park a bit further away and add some more steps to your day.
- Adding just 10 minutes to your usual workout can prevent holiday weight gain.
- Feeling the holiday stress creep in? Go for a walk or take a yoga class.
- Try a winter sport like ice skating, snowboarding or cross-country skiing.
Practice Self Care
- You’ll enjoy the holidays more if you are calm and relaxed. Make stress relief a priority.
- Get plenty of sleep
- Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration from holiday cocktails and indoor heat.
Keep these super simple healthy holiday tips in mind and you can make it through the holidays healthy, holly and jolly.