You are a busy mom. Multi-tasking is your survival mode. If you are anything like me, you have eaten while driving, working, getting dressed and nursing. While it might be convenient to be able to shove some food in your face as you rush out the door in the morning, it really isn’t good for you. These simple mindful eating tips can be an effective way to eating less, enjoying your food, and even reduce stress.
If you are looking to make positive health changes, mindful eating is a super simple first step in the right direction. There are no memberships to pay or new gear to buy. Mindful eating is the idea dietitians and other health experts use to describe paying attention to what you put into your body. It means consciously focusing on the process of eating. This includes choosing what you eat and what you do while you eat. Here are 8 simple mindful eating tips for busy moms to help you get started.
“When walking, walk. When eating, eat.” – Zen Proverb
- Eating begins with preparation.Mindful eating includes planning ahead for meals and preparing healthy, nourishing foods. Weekly meal prep for lunches, stocking your pantry and fridge with healthy snacks, and menu planning all support the process of mindful eating.
- Practice portion control. The problem with many children, teens and adults these days is we ate way too much at each serving. Restaurants are the worst! A typical restaurant doubles or triples the serving sizes we should be eating. Don’t overload your plate. Especially where treats and dessert are concerned, enjoy small portions.
- Take time to enjoy your meal. Put down your phone, turn off the TV and avoid multitasking during your meals. Eat slowly, and let your body fill up naturally. Many times you over-consume because you don’t give yourself enough time to feel full.
- Purchase smaller dishware. Choose a glass or beverage container that holds 12 ounces instead of 24 ounces. These seemingly insignificant steps can lead to a mindful awareness of just what and how much and what you are eating.
More simple mindful eating tips
- It may sound simple, but be aware of whether you are actually hungry or not. If you think you are hungry, it could be because of all the wonderful looking and smelling foods that surround you. Many times, you are experiencing false hunger signals. Try this the next time you feel like you may be hungry. Drink 12 to 16 ounces of water, move out of the site of any food and wait 10 minutes. If you are still hungry, go ahead and eat.
- Put your utensils down between bites. If you are spearing another forkful of food while still chewing your current mouthful, you are already focusing on your next bite. Take this time to chew your food well, which will also help with digestion. Take a few breaths and give your body time to send the signal to your brain so you know whether or not you are full.
- Order the smallest size. We all enjoy the convenience of a drive –thru. Whether it be Starbucks or McDonald’s be mindful that you are about to consume something that is a treat and should be eaten in moderation. Order the smallest size and then drive away. I bet you will find you are satisfied without overindulging.
- Have a conversation with yourself. Silently tell yourself that you can always eat more later. Remind yourself of your health and fitness goals. To be mindfully aware of your eating habits you must constantly talk to yourself about the experience and your progress.
There you have it mama! 8 simple mindful eating tips for busy moms. Start off slow just using one or two of the tips above and notice the positive changes.
We would love to hear from you! What do you usually do while you eat? Do you sit and enjoy your meal…or something else? Please comment below.